–- Advertisement -–
Samsung Canada unveiled its next generation foldable phone, the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G. Packed with enhanced refinements and useful innovations, the Fold2 features new cutting edge technology for a mere $2,780, available now on pre-order and available for purchase starting September 18, 2020.
With a much larger 6.2″ front screen (HD+ Super AMOLED Display (25:9), 2,260 x 816, 386ppi) than last year’s model, it allows one-handed comfort and opens to an expansive seamless 7.6″ ( QXGA+ Dynamic AMOLED 2X (22.5:18) Infinity Flex Display (2,208 x 1768), 373 ppi screen with a premium cinematic display that fits in your pocket.
The hinge, an Achilles Heel in the Fold’s first recalled pre-release, uses third generation sweeper technology – first introduced on the Galaxy Z Flip. On day one, it looks like a much-improved hidden and sealed hinge, with better dust repelling design. You can still feel the slight bump down the middle fold of the 7.6” screen but it’s not visible when the screen is on. I forgot it was there after a few minutes use. Time will tell if Samsung got the hinge mechanics right and moves forward with an incredible folding phone series.
It has a nice feel in closed or open mode, crafted impeccably. When closed, it’s a little thicker than regular smartphones at 13.8mm. But once open, it’s only 6.9mm (frame) with a 6mm thick screen, thinner than many traditional tablets. You can adjust the angle from flat tablet mode or fold to different viewing angles for watching movies or making video calls without a stand.
–- Advertisement -–
“Our journey towards the next generation of mobile devices is full of originality and innovation,” says Dr. TM Roh, President and Head of Mobile Communications Business, Samsung Electronics. “With the launch of the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, we closely listened to user feedback to ensure we were bringing meaningful improvements to the hardware, while also developing new innovations to enhance the user experience. Further strengthened by our industry-leading partnerships with Google and Microsoft, we’re reshaping and redefining the possibilities of the mobile device experience.”
Multiple Apps on One Screen
- Samsung’s unique Flex technology lets you use both front and rear phone screens in interesting ways. For example, with all this extra screen space, the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G can run up to three sizable apps in Multi-Active Window mode. It’s easily accessed by a finger sweep from the right screen edge and you can smartly save different app combinations. Add a smaller floating window app or two, like a calculator (see photo) and you have a veritable small desktop that folds to a phone!
- Easily switch layouts between a large screen layout or traditional phone layout in the Settings.
- Optimized App Display– You can upgrade the viewing experience of your favourite apps, including Gmail, YouTube and Spotify. Using the Main Screen with Office apps in Microsoft 365 to mimic the tablet experience. For example, using Microsoft Outlook, you can view your inbox on the left side and at the same time, draft Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, or PowerPoint presentations with a PC-like toolbar arrangements.
- Using proprietary Capture View Mode you can easily capture content and review in real time without closing the app. Like reviewing the photo or video you just took, or reviewing up to five of your most recent captures on the bottom half of the Main Screen while the preview of your next shot will be on the top half.
- Both photographer and subjects can see the photo being taken on both sides of the Fold2 using the Main and Cover Screen at the same time with Dual Preview, both parties can see what’s being captured.
- You can also take a high-quality selfie with the rear cameras with the Cover Screen acting as the viewfinder.
More New Features and Hardware
- The 6.2-inch Infinity-O Cover Screen works well as a traditional phone for checking e-mail, looking up directions, or even watching your favourite content without needing to unfold the device every time. When unfolded, the generous 7.6-inch Main Screen with minimal bezels, notch-less front camera, and smooth 120Hz adaptable refresh rate is ready to take on any chore.
- It comes with two dynamic speakers which are OK but not as rich as Samsung’s top dedicated tablets.
- Powered by 7 nm 64-bit Octa-Core Processor (3.09 GHz + 2.40 GHz + 1.80 GHz)
- 12GB RAM with 256GB internal storage (UFS3.1)
- 4,500mAh (typical) dual battery split in both hinged units supports fast charging when using the included charger and cable.
- 5G compatabiity
- Galaxy Z Fold2 5G also offers Samsung DeX wireless connection for productivity with less clutter and fewer wires, while UWB (Ultra Wide Band) technology is integrated into the device making it quick and easy to share files, photos or videos with Nearby Share. Samsung DeX wireless connection available on smart TVs that support Phone Screen mirroring only. (For the optimal experience, use on Samsung Smart TVs launched 2019 or later.)
- Ultra Thin Glass is now also on the Main Screen, providing a sharp crisp display. As I mentioned, time will soon tell as more media get to test the device in the next several days. On my first day with it, the phone appears more solid than previous models.
- Samsung is joined at the hip with Windows 10 allowing you to share files and apps like using your PC screen to run phone apps, like e-mails.
- Sadly like previous Samsung Fold devices, there is no IP rating due to the variable hinge mechanism.
How Good are the Cameras?
Samsung has done a decent job of keeping up with the newest cameras in its folding devices. The Galaxy Z Fold2 5G keeps pace with a five camera system including two 10MP selfie cameras and a rear triple camera system that includes 12MP Ultra Wide, Wide-angle, and Telephoto lenses. The large rear camera bump is a testament to that.
Apples to apples, there is no apparent compromise in 12 megapixel photo detail and colour quality between the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G and current S20 and Note 20 phones other than a lower 2x optical and 10x digital Telephoto mode (see photo). Up to 4K video includes Samsung’s like Pro Video mode, Single Take. Bright Night, and Night modes have similar quality to current Samsung traditional smartphones, including the Note 20 series. But don’t expect the fastest laser focusing or larger megapixel cameras like the S20 and Note20 series or 8K video.
–- Advertisement -–
To Buy or Not to Buy
Let’s face it. The Galaxy Z Fold2 5G is stunning and a great tech show-off. But for $2,780, you can buy a weather resistant Galaxy S20+ and a larger Samsung tablet with money to spare. And spare yourself future headaches on the many ways you can incur major damage to the most delicate futuristic smartphone/ tablet money can buy.
The Galaxy Z Fold2 5G is available now for pre-order in Canada in Mystic Bronze and Mystic Black for $2,780 (regular price) at Samsung.com/ca and in Samsung Experience Stores across Canada, and will be available for purchase on September 18, 2020.
Customers can also pre-order customized Hideaway Hinge options available with four distinct colours: Metallic Silver, Metallic Gold, Metallic Red and Metallic Blue. Canadians can also purchase the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G through Bell Canada starting September 18, 2020.
Samsung offers access to Galaxy Z Premier Service, an on-demand dedicated customer care service for Galaxy Z Fold2 5G customers. You can make appointments, connect one-on-one with experts, and discover how to unlock certain features of the Galaxy Z Fold2 5G offers. Galaxy Z Fold2 5G owners will also be provided with one-time device protection against accidental display damage within one year of the date of purchase for $200 if you purchase your Galaxy Z Fold2 5G before March 31, 2021. The regular cost of an eligible inner screen replacement is up to $1,000 so the initial protection investment can offer peace of mind.
You can check out Galaxy Z Fold2 5G now at Samsung Kiosk locations across Canada, including the new Montreal Eaton Centre location. Samsung Experience stores can be found at:
- CF Sherway Gardens
- CF Toronto Eaton Centre
- Metropolis at Metrotown
- Montreal Eaton Centre
- Scarborough Town Centre (Samsung Kiosk)
- West Edmonton Mall
- Yorkdale Shopping Centre